Why men aren’t taking their health seriously?
While it’s important for people of all ages to pay attention to their bodies, the stats show that men aren’t taking their health as seriously as women. But they should.
It’s time for men to change their mindsets
There is an ongoing, increasing and predominantly silent crisis in the health and well-being of men. Due to a lack of awareness, poor health education, and culturally induced behaviour patterns in their work and personal lives, men’s health and well-being are deteriorating steadily.
Men are 24 percent less likely to visit the doctor for regular check-ups than women. Additionally, they’re 22 percent more likely than women to neglect their cholesterol tests. That’s a key reason why men suffer more heart attacks in their 50s than women.
For some men who are in good health, they may not think it’s necessary. But the reality is that men of every decade need routine checkups. There are conditions that should potentially be checked.
If you would like to take the first step and talk to someone about your health, book an appointment with Vala for advice.
What sorts of things can we help you with?
- Annual physicals
- Common illnesses and injuries
- Chronic (long-term) disease management, such as management of high blood pressure, depression and diabetes
- Erectile disorder
- Hair loss
- Mental health concerns
- Nutrition and weight management
- Discussing, and organising Prostate exams/screening
- Sexual Health/STI
- Sleep issues
- Skin conditions
- Discussing, and organising Testicular/cancer screening
- Discussing, and organising a Vasectomy
All our Primary care doctors, nurse practitioners and physician assistants are trained to help men throughout all stages of life and provide the recommended health screenings and tips to staying healthy. They can also help treat a variety of conditions, including coughs and colds, acne, sleep disorders, hypertension, diabetes and heart disease.
Because we’re Vala, and because you get unlimited appointments, even if you just feel a bit “baffled” and want some support to start feeling a bit more informed, we’re always here to guide you through.
About Mens Health
If you take better care of your car or favourite gadget than your body, you aren’t alone. Visit one of our online team to learn how you can reduce your risk of common conditions facing men, such as cancer, depression, heart disease, and respiratory diseases.
We try and publish as much supporting content from experts as possible.
Sometimes we may not have an expert online straight away (for example at very busy times, or in the middle of the night), so these pages and links may be useful during those moments.
- Campaign Against Living Miserably - Support for men dealing with mental health complications.
- Mind - Advice and support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problem.
- The Samaritans - Providing emotional support to anyone in emotional distress, struggling to cope, or at risk of suicide throughout the United Kingdom and Ireland.
- Andys Man Club - Real, non judgmental, talking groups for men. The creators of the viral #ITSOKAYTOTALK movement.
- Walk and Talk - A UK movement for football fans to walk, chat about their issues, and create support networks for each other.
You can also find out more about...
Need help with issues related to Mens Health?
You can discuss your symptoms confidentially in the comfort of your own home and get the treatment you need as quickly as possible.
For more detailed information, please take a look at our FAQS